Friday, May 13, 2011

'Lots and lots of love, Little Girl. Your own boy, Cap'

TheChronicleHerald.ca: 'Lots and lots of love, Little Girl. Your own boy, Cap'
In October 1917, Captain Roome crossed the English Channel and landed in France, where he waited for orders that would send him and the other "boys" into the dark uncertainty of the front lines of the Great War.

By candlelight, on a quiet Saturday night, Roome penned these words to his love, Miss Annie Belle Hollett, the woman he would one day marry.

This love letter is one of 31 he wrote to her between 1915 and 1919. They were recently discovered secreted away in a wall of the Dartmouth home he began building his sweetheart when he returned home more than 90 years ago.

Oct. 20 - 17

Base France

My Own Little Girl,

Here is Saturday evening again, so I’ll get started on a line. I’m writing under the old difficulties again, stretched off on the floor of a tent. Everything is quiet here at present. Most of the boys have gone into the city to look around. I was in last night, so I guess I’ll stick to the camp this evening.

Mailed you a card just to let you know we crossed safely. Hope you received it okay. We had a lovely trip across although of course it’s only a short run. The Channel was nice and smooth and the day fine and warm.

Had quite a march when we struck this side but good supplies and sleep put us in shape again.

It’s hard to realize that we really are in France. Everything around here looks peaceful enough. We went to a movie last night and it was funny to see everything in French. One soon picks up a word here and there though and just here a great many of the people understand English.

Don’t know how long we’ll be here, maybe some days. No mail has come in yet. I don’t think we will get any soon until we get up to the Battery. . . .

I’m writing this by the light of a candle stuck on top of my steel helmet and the grease is running all over it. But things like that are mere trifles now. Haha. Palmeter, Mac and I are still in the same tent. Guess we won’t see much of the other boys now. Still, I don’t think we’ll be very far apart and we may get a chance to see each other now and then.

Have done nothing all day but sleep and eat. Was working fairly hard yesterday morning but had the afternoon off. Guess we’ll make up for this long rest when we get to the line. They say the mud is something fierce up there now. I’ll be right in my element. . . .

Well, I have to stop for a minute, darling, and fix things up more comfortably. There, that’s better. Gee, it seems a long time since I had any mail. I suppose coming across here really makes it seem longer. . . .

Well Girlie, there is very little more that I can tell you this time. You understand why my letters will be shorter now, dear. Believe me, it isn’t that I don’t want to write just as much as in England, but there is no sense writing a letter half of which would be struck out by the censor.

Guess I’ll roll over now for an hour or so and by that time, the boys will be back. I’ll drop a card soon.

Good night and bye bye for this time.

Lots and lots of love, Little Girl.

Your Own Boy,

Cap

No comments:

Post a Comment