Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Brothers weathered Great War together

StatesvilleRecord&Landmark: Brothers weathered Great War together
Jim Sloan, 71, a U.S. Army veteran, was kind enough to show me some memorabilia he has from World War 1: a gas mask cover, a French bugle, a magazine printed by the 81st Division, a bugler's cloth insignia, some photographs and a letter.
Two Iredell County brothers, Ernest Neal Sloan Sr. and George Norman Sloan, Jim's father and uncle, respectively, served together in the U.S. Army in World War I. The brothers were overseas for 22 months. Brothers serving together in the same unit was discouraged by the War Department, but somehow the brothers enlisted together and stayed together. The family story is that they told the officials they might be "distantly related." George was a bugler and a communications runner and is known to have been in Company "B" of the 321st Infantry Regiment, 81st "Wildcat" Division, while his younger brother Ernest (Jim's father) was a machine-gunner and was said to be in the "same unit," but it is unclear if they were in the same company, regiment or brigade.
Up through the American Civil War, brothers had often served together in the same unit. If one brother was injured or sick, his brother could do something toward helping his sibling. But this arrangement was a two-edged sword: If the brothers' unit was engaged in heavy combat, the loss to a single family could be catastrophic.
Originally composed of drafted men from North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida, the men of the Wildcat Division were trained at Fort Jackson, near Columbia, S.C., and then received further training at Camp Sevier, near Greenville, S.C.
On Oct. 19, 1918, the division was attached to the First U. S. Army and with that organization was initiated into real combat. The 81st Division soldiers were ordered "over the top" to attack the German trenches on the very morning the armistice was to take place --- Nov. 11, 1918. Unfortunately for the German and American troops, there was no official word that the fighting was about to cease. The Wildcats slowly advanced through the heavy fog and withering German fire and made their way between the trenches, a barren, treeless, muddy area dotted with artillery shell holes and barbed wire called "No Man's Land," and made it to the German positions. At precisely 11 a.m., firing abruptly stopped all up and down the line.
Although in action for only about a month, the Wildcat Division sustained 1,104 casualties, 248 killed or dead from wounds and 856 wounded, in November 1918. Although not officially part of the 3rd Army --- the Army of Occupation --- it was not until June 1919, seven months after the cessation of hostilities, that members of the division were shipped home and released from service. The 81st was officially deactivated at Hoboken, N.J., on June 11, 1919.
Back in civilian life, George went to college and became a Methodist preacher. This calling did not last long as he had been exposed to poison gas while service in the war and developed tuberculosis and spent much time in sanatoriums. He died in 1930 at the age of 38. His obituary in The Landmark stated "he was said to have been one of the most promising young ministers of his church in this state." George married, but had no children.
Brother Ernest became a farmer and also worked as a custodian at Central School and worked for the schools' maintenance department in the summer. He was generally a quiet man and spoke little of his experiences in the Great War. Ernest survived his brother by 45 years, dying in 1975 at the age of 79. Ernest was survived by son Jim, three other sons and four daughters.
His Uncle George died nine years before Jim was born. Jim said his father was "the greatest man I ever knew." Both men are buried at Mountain View United Methodist Church Cemetery in north Iredell.

* * *

George Sloan sent the following letter, slightly edited for readability, to his home from France. The letter was written while on the march, some two weeks after the cease fire and Armistice. It has not been published previously. The religious service referred to may have been a thanksgiving service, the men thanking God that they had survived and would be going home.

France, 11-24-18 Dear Father:

As this is Father's day we are all requested to write to "Dad" with the promise that it won't be censored. I have been on the front twice, first on the Vosge sector which was a quiet sector. We went into the trenches on Sept. the 19th and held this front about 21 days. Moved back for a two weeks rest and then hiked several miles and rode some in boxcars to the Historic Verdun front at which place we "went over the top" in a big drive on Oct. 10th. We had to drive over a big marsh --- mud and water and lakes. On the night of the 10th I slept(?) in a water ditch partly filled with water. Under a heavy shell fire early in the morning I was told to get on my pack. We was going to move up; I got up and plunged into the chilly water the shells were falling all around and I was expecting every one that came whistling over to have my name on it. I can't imagine how I ever got through alive.

So we went forward until 11:00 a.m. when orders came to cease firing. We found that we had advanced about 2 kilo[meter]s, lost five men and about 8 wounded in Co. B. The Germans told us that they laid down the heaviest barrage on us that morning they ever put on this front and never knew of anyone advancing our Infantry under such heavy shelling.

We were fighting the 5th Prussian Guard, Germany's very best troops. I don't want to seem to brag but the 81st Division did something that the famous 26th [Division] failed to do. The French told our general before we started to drive that it was impossible to drive over such a marshy district, but when the firing stopped we was across and had them on the run toward German soil. Sounds good, Eh?

We have hiked many, many miles since coming here. We are on a 200 kilo hike now. It is likely we will sail for the U.S. soon. My feet is sore but I am too ambitious to "fall out." It is very cold and don't often get by any fire, sometimes have to sleep on the frozen ground. I am so cold now I can't half write.

Well, I have preached to my comrades some. While we were in the trenches I held services for them. I am trying to live out my good training wherever I go. I feel like I want to tell you this.

The first time I held services the commanding officer and officers gathered around me in a barn yard. I was feeling the best I ever felt in my life.

We open[ed] by having prayer and it wasn't long before you could hear weeping all around. The Spirit seemed hovering over us. After the prayer I talked and it seemed I got lost in myself. I forgot all about my captain being a big college professor and the officers being college graduates. As soon as I finished the captain made the remark that without exception that was the best service he ever attended. I never heard such high tribute paid me as he did. I give God all the glory. This is the best news I could think of to write you for Xmas, so I close by hoping you all will have a real fine Yuletide.

Your devoted son

Geo. N. Sloan

Co. B, 321st Inf.

***

During and right after the First World War the conflict was known as "The World War," or "The Great War." Many also believed that it would be "The War to End All Wars."

As we now know, it was not.

O.C. Stonestreet is a columnist for the R&L.

No comments:

Post a Comment