Wednesday, December 28, 2011

DNA key to World War I mystery

The Warmabool Standard (Australia): DNA key to World War I mystery
STAN Turner grew up knowing little about his uncle who was killed in World War I — but 95 years later, the former VicRoads worker may now hold the key.

Today DNA from Mr Turner will be taken to England as part of a search by the Australian and British governments to identify hundreds of soldiers found in the German-dug mass graves at Fromelles.

Last year 75 of the 250 were identified from the battle in Northern France on July 19, 1916.

Mr Turner, named after his uncle Stanley Turner, said that to have confirmation that his uncle was killed at Fromelles would provide peace of mind and an end to the mystery.

“All that we really knew was that he was lost in action,” he said.

“I don’t know much. He was in his 20s when he was killed.

“He went to Gallipoli and was wounded in his thigh but survived which was a rarity.

“My dad was in France waiting to go to Gallipoli when his brother was wounded.

“The only record we have is that he didn’t come back.”

Mr Turner, from Dennington, said if the DNA matched and his uncle was buried at Fromelles, he and his family would head to the site to pay their respects.

“I’m nervous waiting for the results but I’m still absolutely rapt,” he said.

“Dad was in World War I and World War II. He never really talked about his brother.

“He once told a story how he was in the trenches in France and his mate was buried up to his waist. He stopped to help him but the man just said ‘leave me, my legs are gone’.

“After I agreed to do the test I thought, hold on, maybe you should do my brother, but I was the one they selected from the family tree.”

Mr Turner’s DNA will be picked up by UK company LGC Forensics services in England.

He said he expected to hear back from the company in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment